Swedish Semla is a small, wheat flour bun, flavoured with cardamom and filled with almond paste and whipped cream, eaten on "Fettisdagen" (Shrove Tuesday).
We have created these easy mini raw "semlor" inspired by the taste of traditional Swedish Semla.
Difficulty level: Easy
Time reguired: 1 hour+
- 3/4 cup of cashews (soaked in water min. 2 hours)
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 2/3 cup of raisins
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of cardamom
- 50 gr of almonds
- 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
Pink whipped cream:
- 300 ml of plant-based cream to whip
- 1 tsp of Rawnice Beetroot powder
- Optional: 1 tbsp of powdered sugar
- Firstly prepare the raw buns: place cashews, almonds, raisins, coconut oil, and cardamom in a food processor. Blend everything for a smooth mixture.
- Make small round "buns" from the mixture. Place them on a plate and press each ball a bit. Place in the fridge for around 1 hour.
- Prepare the almond paste: blend almonds with vanilla extract and maple syrup until creamy. Add a tablespoon or two of almond milk if the mixture is very thick.
- Before serving, prepare the pink whipped cream: whip the plant-based cream using an electric mixer. Add 1 tsp of beetroot powder and a tablespoon of powdered sugar or maple syrup and mix again.
- Cut off a tiny part of the top of raw buns. Add on each raw bun a little bit of almond paste. Then add whipped cream (use a piping bag).
- Sprinkle with chopped almonds and place the tiny parts of buns (these you cut off before ) on the top.